So, I had a complete blast–like opening night (or at least sitzprobe) in my head every day–writing this novel called Don Juan in Hankey, PA about a small-town opera guild and all the problems they encounter producing Don Giovanni. Seduction. Visits from ghosts. Murder. Comic intrigues. Convoluted mysteries. And, of course, lots of opera.
After the baritone singing the title role pulls out of his contract, the guild hires a gifted gaucho from Argentina who won Operatoonity–a fictional, international opera contest. Hence, the name for this blog celebrating opera!
DON JUAN IN HANKEY, PA has been published by Booktrope and is available online in e-book and print at Amazon. In 2012, it was named a Finalist in the National Indie Excellence Awards.
Here are snippets from some of my favorite reviews on Amazon.com (by regular readers):
- “‘Don Juan’ perfectly captures our own faults, those of ambition, greed, lust and naivety, and makes us laugh at our own self-importance. This book strikes a human chord in such a comical way that I couldn’t put it down.”
- “If you’re not an opera fan already, REJOICE! Your salvation awaits in Don Juan in Hankey, PA.”
- “It is bursting with outlandish plot snarls and tension-relieving plot twists–it is an entertaining ride.”
- “Guess what? I want to learn more about opera now. What fun and how clever.”
- “I enjoyed the book especially because even though it always maintains a serious, believable side, it verges on high hilarity at times.”
- “I want more from this author. I will recommend this book to all my friends.”
- “What makes this novel so special is that are the many levels to discover and enjoy, as in every good novel.”
- “Now maybe I don’t know much about opera or Mozart but I’m pretty sure I know a good book when I read one and Don Juan in Hankey, PA is definitely a good book as all of the separate elements that Gale Martin has woven together have made for a terrific whole.”
- “I REALLY LOVED THE BOOK!!! Honestly, I wish there was a sequel already.”
- “I am a singer (and avid reader) and have performed in many similar companies to the one in the book.”
- “Don Juan in Hankey, PA will help your own heart to sing. And who among us doesn’t yearn for that?”
If you read DON JUAN IN HANKEY, PA, be sure to let me know what you think!