Adele in 'Die Fledermaus'
Looking for material on a post on opera and humor, I found a whole sub-category of knee-slappers–soubrette jokes. Who knew there were any?
Why would anyone pick on the soubrette
? Soubrettes are almost always supporting characters. What kind of low-life jokester picks on the supporting player who never gets the last bow?
- How is a soubrette different from a sewer rat?
Some people actually like sewer rats.
- What is the difference between a soubrette and a cobra?
One is deadly poisonous, and the other is a reptile.
To those of you who’ve played any of the soubrette roles below, what did soubrettes do to be compared to sewer rats and snakes?
- Adele, Die Fledermaus (Johann Strauss II)
- Alison, The Wandering Scholar (Holst)
- Amor, Orfeo ed Euridice (Gluck)
- Ännchen, Der Freischütz (Carl Maria von Weber)
- Ann Page, The Merry Wives of Windsor (Carl Otto Nicolai)
- Auretta, L’Oca del Cairo (Mozart)
- Barbarina, The Marriage of Figaro (Mozart)
- Bastienne, Bastien und Bastienne (Mozart)
- Belinda, Dido and Aeneas (Purcell)
- Blondchen, The Abduction from the Seraglio (Mozart)
- Cis, Albert Herring (Britten)
- Clotilda, Norma (Bellini)
- Despina, Così fan tutte (Mozart)
- Echo, Ariadne auf Naxos (Richard Strauss)
- Elisa, Il re pastore (Mozart)
- Emmie, Albert Herring (Britten)
- Giannetta, L’Elisir d’Amore (Donizetti)
- Hebe, H.M.S. Pinafore (Gilbert and Sullivan)
- Lisa, The Grand Duke (Gilbert and Sullivan)
- Lisette, La rondine (Puccini)
- Marie, Der Waffenschmied (Albert Lortzing)
- Marie, Zar und Zimmermann (Albert Lortzing)
- Marzellina, Fidelio (Beethoven)
- Nannetta, Falstaff (Verdi)
- Norina, Don Pasquale (Donizetti)
- Ninetta, La finta semplice (Mozart)
- Papagena, The Magic Flute (Mozart)
- Pitti-Sing, The Mikado (Gilbert and Sullivan)
- Servilia, La Clemenza di Tito (Mozart)
- Serpetta, La finta giardiniera (Mozart)
- Serpina, La serva padrona (Pergolesi)
- Sophie, Der Rosenkavalier (Richard Strauss)
- Susanna, The Marriage of Figaro (Mozart)
- Zerlina, Don Giovanni (Mozart)
I think I know where the soubrette jokes came from. Coloraturas must have written them.